Last week I featured Solange Knowles and Eve for a Style Files Post (click here to read) Well Kim asked for a look for less post with items similar to what Solange and Eve rocked. Instead of showcasing two or three looks I have over 100 items Under $100 that you can add to your wardrobe to achieve the looks of Solange and Eve.
So here are my tips for rocking neon and bright colors for the summer
1. Color block! Sometimes color blocking can be over done, but not when it comes to the summer. Pair complimentary colors that don’t over power each other. So rock a purple crop top, royal blue jeans, and a pink handbag.
2. Pair a solid top with printed bottoms. So if you aren’t a pro at color blocking, try working with a printed bottom. Whether it is a pair of printed pants or shorts, pair with a solid top in one of the colors in the prints. I would pair with the least dominant color to make it pop.
3. Shoes, shoes, shoes! So if you aren’t fond of rocking bold color apparel then gold bold with your shoes! Whether you are rocking a wedge, ballet flats, sandals, or pumps try a pair in hot pink, lime green, or neon orange to brighten up your look.
4. Accessorize! You can rock this trend in simple ways like with your handbag, sunglasses, and jewelry. I love the look of a white tank and white jeans with neon shoes and accessories. It’s perfect for the summer and spring.
5. Be confident! This is the most important tip! You will attract a lot of attention rocking these bright colors so own your look!
Here are over $100 items of apparel, shoes, and accessories…happy shopping!
I have a love hate relationship with this style, whether it is a dress, skirt, or even top. This is not a look that everyone can wear so please read on to see which body types fit the drop waist look the best. I was on Essence.com and saw actress Octavia Spencer rocking a drop waist dress. Now I love me some Octavia Spencer but this dress was just all wrong for her body type.
Now the color looks great on her, but the proportions are all wrong. When it comes to fashion proportions are key. I mean that’s one of the main critiques that the designers get on Project Runway from the judges. If the portions are off you begin to highlight challenging areas or you create a look that disrupts the flow of your outfit. In this dress her legs look shorter than what they are and she looks boxy.
I wanted to purchase the drop waist dress from the Prabal Gurung for Target collection, but I didn’t because I just looked awkward lol.
Drop waist dresses work best on people that have shorter torsos and smaller hips. Women who are petite should avoid drop waist dresses because you will appear shorter. If you have a wide or round midsection avoid the drop waist dress because you will accentuate that area.
I think shorter hemlines work best with drop waist dresses and skirts. The longer hemlines seem to make people look frumpy.
Would you rock a drop waist dress?
If you aren’t getting ready for summer maybe looking at Solange and Eve’s latest photo spreads. Can you break out the baby oil? Both of the ladies went for super brights and neons for their looks. I must say that I am really about to be in my “Summer Body” mode. Take a closer look at the spreads for both ladies.
Solange for Complex Magazine
Eve for the New York Post